Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bedrest: Day 26

The Bedrest Chronicles: Day 26 - Baby E is 31 weeks!!

The past week has been a combination of happiness and peace alternated with sadness and worry. It's fair to say that some of these happen all in the same day too! However I think it's pretty typical of being on bedrest in the hospital far far away from family.

After the horrible glucose test in which I felt sick all day on Monday, I proceeded to get woozy and nauseous at every biophysical profile (BPP) ultrasound. It use to be the highlight of my day to see him squirming on the screen, but the wooziness followed with a good hour of shaking in my bed while drinking sierra.mist afterwards just did not hit my happy buttons. Baby E continued to not breathe for the test on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday which kind of freaked me out. He was actually so quiet on the screen on Wednesday that they had to buzz him with this contraption just to get him to do his gross motor movements. It made me kind of wonder if everything was still okay in the doc ordered an extra NST everyday and an increase of BPP from three to seven times a week.

The great news is that he is definitely chugging away in there, but his pattern of sleeping in the morning and being more active at night does not match up with the activity needed during monitoring. Today my hubby finally got to see the BPP which I think is cool because I feel like he is left out of the whole experience here. :) I don't know if it was daddy's presence or not, but baby E was active and even sustained his breathing for us to see. Yay! The doc also came in a little later to do an ultrasound to measure my cervix and the kiddo. My cervix is still hanging in there nicely and my kiddo is weighing in a week ahead at 4 pounds! Go munchkin!

The other part of the week which wasn't so exciting is that I didn't get to go home this weekend. My angel of a dad needed to stay home for a few more days, so we will be rescheduling his flight sometime this week. When he called to tell me, he was upset about it and I wasn't! The reality is while of course I want to go home, it's not necessary as I get great care from the nurses and Baby E gets lots of monitoring.  At the same time, despite my generally positive attitude, I've had some bad moments here just being lonely for my home, family, dog, and husband. I usually get over it pretty quick but sometimes I cry for no good reason.

So it's a mixed bag of emotions over here in my little corner of the hospital. One day at a time....


*Lis - baby bump pic is coming soon!!!


  1. hang in there you are doing so well. i know this must be beyond hard, so many changes all at once! but im glad to hear that you and baby are well. i totally forgot to write you an email damn it! i am such a forgetful person anymore. i was never like that! anyway, sorry to be a drip and know that i think of you often ;)

  2. I can't imagine going through everything you've been going through - you're such a trooper! Glad to hear the munchkin is going well!

  3. I'm hapy to hear that Baby E is doing fine. I know it is hard to be away from family and friends now as I am in the same boat. Hopefully your dad will arrive soon.

  4. Keep your chin up - it won't be long and your little one will be here; all of this will be worth it!!!

  5. Hey there! Finally figured out how I can read the text - I just have to highlight it! ;-) Just wanted to say I'm catching up and I'm glad to hear all is well with the munchkin, even if he isn't always cooperative for all the procedures! The fact that he's so active at night sounds like a great sign. I can't imagine what bedrest must be like - I would be lonely, too...can't DH bring your dog for a visit? I would miss my dog the most, I think! Your spirits seem great, despite it all - and this is all for such a good cause so that must keep you going! XOXO