Friday, August 13, 2010

Bedrest: The beauty of...TMI alert!

Really, this is a TMI alert for you. Seriously. You have been warned.

So I've mentioned before that this bedrest is complete, as in you never get out of bed. This means I literally have the nurses at my beck and call to fetch me water, meds, and even my toothbrush while managing to change my sheets, wash my hair, and wipe my ass. No really, wiping my buttox free from unsightly specimen is part of the job.  Well I don't know about you, but having my brown gunk wiped by another person is something I was hoping to not endure until I about eighty! The life of luxury here is missing just a few things--my frothy pina colada, a sunny pool and my dignity!

Most of my self consciousness about exposing my girly parts was eradicated by the repeated wandings and probings that occurred during my infertility treatments. For example, the twice daily "peri" care for the catheter insert didn't really phase me. I do wonder though, how many people have now seen my girly parts in the last year. I bet the number would now rival any working girl! :) lol However, I realized there was a new level of consciousness when it came to my backside. 

So this being said, I must tell you that the title of this blog refers to: The beauty of bathroom privileges!!!!! As of Wednesday night, I have been granted bathroom privileges which I promise feels as wonderous as driving a car for the first time or turning twenty-one! It seems like life has just gotten so much better with the return of a little autonomy. One of the really nice benefits of being able to stand up once in awhile is that I  don't ache as bad from lying down so much. Sigh. Relief. 

When my hubby first heard of my release from the catheter, I swear he turned a little green with worry. This is unlike my husband as he is usually rock solid with any news. Yet, I think with all of the craziness that has been had until this point, he would like to tuck me away, preferably into a coma, until baby E can emerge safely. I think I love him a little more for showing his worry for me. :)  

Despite the new freedoms, my lack of contractions has stayed consistent which makes everybody happy. My doctor even mentioned today that she is contemplating when I might get to go home! I didn't expect that until at least 32 weeks, so we'll see. 

Hope all is well with you. 
xoxo


16 comments:

  1. This is wonderful news!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you get your dignity back! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for bathroom privileges! Also, for lack of contractions. How nice if you could keep baking your son in your new home! Your hubby sounds amazing by the way, with all the unpacking and worrying about you. What a great role model for baby E!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for bathroom privileges - this is awesome! Sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the things we take for granted until they're taken away. Pooping on your own sounds blissful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every little bedrest privledge is a victory! Congrats to you - that is huge. I spent one day on complete bedrest and thought I would go nuts. I am now on barely modified bedrest (bathroom and shower privledges and I get to recline rather than being flat) - I'm 19w, so i have 16 more to go. It feels like such a luxury to have these extra privledges. I hope you get a hall pass to go home- it is really a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Who'd have ever thought bathroom privileges would be so important!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. good news! Whow would have thought it would be that exciting! I wish you were closer... damn the Army! :) I've been somewhat absent from the blogging world, but you've been in my htoughts and prayers often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm such a loser for missing your whole drama!! Glad things are looking better now, how completely terrifying to go through this. And right as you're moving and all. But you seem to have a great support system, sending good thoughts your way!

    Thanks for the comment on my depressing blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The things we take for granted! I'm so relieved and happy to hear your contractions are under control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Jen, I had no idea that total bedrest meant TOTAL BEDREST. You haven't been able to leave the bed at all??? You're amazing! And i'm so pleased you get to wipe your own butt now! Congratulations!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the puppy advice! I LOVE the breed too...I got him from my best friend who has one as well. Luckily, she and her husband had started crate/house training him until we could pick him up. Thank God. He's almost used to the crate, and only cries for about 2 minutes after putting him in it. I just read your list to my hubby, and we're going to go out and get us a bell and find him some friends to play with! We wanted to take him for a walk & tried the leash today...that didn't work out too well, lol. And he loves to chew....goodness. We'll keep a' trying! I guess consistency is the key.

    I'm praying for you and hope that you can go home soon and be with your sweetpea! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. as someone who spent 5 weeks last summer on hospital bedrest on mag, i SO get this post and i am SOOOOOOOO happy for your new found privilege!!!

    hang tight baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are they checking you for infection? I had 2 cerclages (one at 12 weeks, one at 23 weeks) and I ended up going into labor because I got strep b (I was in the hospital on modified bed rest from week 20 to week 28). The beginning of the week i went into labor, I started having increased discharge, which i told the doctors/nurses about. Just spreading the info - since my twins were born at 28 weeks and that could have been prevented if we would have caught the infection soon enough. Hang in there - so glad you got the bathroom priviledges - hopefully that means you will start getting shower priviledges!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's great you have bathroom privelages! How far along are you? Best wishes!

    Krystal
    ICLW # 106: http://krysttc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete